Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) is a type of infection that affects the female reproductive organs. It occurs when sexually transmitted bacteria enter the vagina and spread to the uterus, fallopian tubes or ovaries.
Several bacteria can cause it, but the most common are the ones that also cause sexually transmitted infections gonorrhea and chlamydia.
Some surgical procedures, such as abortion or insertion of an intrauterine device (IUD), also can lead to PID.
Several factors increase your risk of PID. Some common factors are having more than one sexual partner, being in a relationship with a person who has multiple sexual partners, unprotected intercourse, regular douching and previous history of a sexually transmitted disease (STD).
Many women who develop PID experience no signs or symptoms. However, some have lower abdominal or back pain, pelvic pain, vaginal discharge with odor, irregular menstrual bleeding, pain during intercourse or while urinating, fever, loss of appetite and general exhaustion.
PID can lead to scarring of the fallopian tubes and, if not treated in time, it can cause infertility.
HERE ARE SOME HOME REMEDIES FOR PELVIC INFLAMMATORY DISEASE.
1. Garlic: Garlic is very effective for treating PID due to its strong antibacterial and antibiotic properties. Several compounds in garlic help destroy the harmful bacteria. It also helps regulate the good vaginal bacteria and prevent a recurrence of the infection.
Fry 2 or 3 minced garlic cloves in 2 tablespoons of olive oil until the garlic turns brown. Strain the oil and allow it to cool. Soak a clean cotton ball in this oil and insert it in the vagina. Remove the cotton ball and leave the oil in the vagina for a couple of hours before rinsing it off. Do this daily until the infection clears.
Also, increase your garlic intake by adding it to your meals or taking a garlic supplement after consulting a doctor.
2. Turmeric: Turmeric contains an active ingredient called curcumin with powerful antibacterial as well as anti-inflammatory properties that can help fight the infection as well as relieve symptoms. In addition, turmeric is good for your immune system.
Boil 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of milk. Drink it once daily until the symptoms subside.
3. Baking Soda: Baking soda is another effective treatment for PID. This alkaline compound helps reduce acidity and alkalize the colon and other organs. This in turn helps eliminate infection-causing bacteria. In addition, it helps balance the body’s pH level.
Add ½ teaspoon of baking soda to a glass of water. Stir in 1 teaspoon of psyllium fiber. Drink it on an empty stomach once daily for a few weeks.
4. Pelvic Massage: Pelvic and lower abdominal massage helps tighten the muscles and increase blood flow to the reproductive organs. This in turn eases the pain, provides relaxation and speeds up healing.
Mix a few drops of olive oil with Chamomile oil. Lie on the bed and stretch out your body. Apply this oil on your lower abdomen. Gently massage the pelvic area and lower abdomen in circular motions for 5 to 10 minutes.
Massage 1 or 2 times daily until the symptoms subside.
5. Sitz Bath: A contrast sitz bath is an effective remedy to reduce the symptoms of PID. While the hot bath will help relax the pelvic muscles, the cold bath will help alleviate pain.
Fill two large bathtubs– one with warm water and the other with cold water. Add a few drops of Black seed oil to each and stir well. First, sit in the tub with hot water up to your waist for 3 minutes. Next, sit in the tub of cold water up to your waist for 1 minute. Repeat a few times and end the session with cold water. Enjoy a sitz bath a few times each week.
6. Castor Oil: Castor oil is an effective remedy to ease the pain caused by PID. It contains ricin oleic acid, which has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce pain.
Fold a large, flannel cloth into layers. Pour 2 to 3 tablespoons of castor oil on it. Warm the cloth to a comfortable temperature in a microwave. Lie down on an old towel and put the warm flannel cloth on your lower abdomen. Cover the cloth with a plastic wrap and wait 20 minutes. Repeat this remedy once or twice daily for a week. You can even use castor oil to massage the pelvic region to ease pain.